January 13, 2011

The 5 Creepiest Videos on Youtube

Very few things on youtube are actually worth watching. Every once in a while though, there's a fake video that goes beyond the "IT'S A GHOST ZOMFG!!!111" and "DEMON REAL" bullshit all over youtube. These are some of the best I'm aware of, in no particular order.

1. The Marble Hornets Videos

What is it, and where did it come from?
Marble Hornets is an ongoing series of videos focussing on the paranormal entity, Slenderman, and the paranoia he puts into the protagonist, J. J begins constantly filming himself as a way of being sure he's not being followed or watched. The series is more of an interactive alternate reality. The J replies to people who message him on youtube, as though everything about it is real, though blocks comments on all videos to keep people in the dark until they actually watch the video. It's very popular, with the latest video uploaded 19 hours ago already having more than 15000 views.




OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?
Slenderman's creepy as all hell. He's about twelve feet tall, skinny as a rail, and wears a suit. Oh, and he doesn't have a face. At all. Not even a mouth. He actually appears in nearly every video but isn't noticed by the J in all of them. Lately it's been thought that J might be a form of unreliable narrator, as he is having enormous gaps of memory loss, and acting eccentrically.


2. Fantastic Hey Hey Hey


What is it and where did it come from?
Unfortunately I haven't been able to find much background info on this abomination, because no one seems to actually know where it came from. There are several videos of it though.



OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?
That was Tara. All anyone seems to be able to find about her is her name. The reason she makes you so uncomfortable is a thing called the Uncanny Valley. Uncanny Valley basically says that the closer something gets to looking like a human, without actually being a human, the more we want it to stay the hell away from us. As far as why she feels so fantastic, I just don't know.


3. Molten Light

What is it and where did it come from?
Molten Light is a song and music video by Chad Vangaalen. It's a great song, first of all. Reminds me a little of Radiohead. The artist did both the song and animated the video. I can't embed it, because youtube's disabled that for some reason, but here's the link. I've got to give props to Maxon over at Three Girls a Guy and a Blog for showing this to me.

OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?
The animation alone would be enough for it to make this list, and really wish I knew about this video when I wrote about horror and music. The video tells the story of a woman who is murdered by two brothers, comes back from the dead, follows them to their house, and kills them in a beam of molten light. The chorus to the song (She'll find you and she'll kill you) will be stuck in your head for days, and randomly make you uncomfortable. It's a video that stays with you.

4. Dining Room or There is Nothing

What is it and where did it come from?
An experimental film by director David Bearle. His website says "This piece was inspired by a personal paradoxical desire for empirical proof that there is nothing on the 'other' side of life.
I wanted to blur the distinction between the two states, and to state the paradox by showing someone who is coming back from life (or death), and denies its existence, thereby fulfilling the paradox."


OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?
That was a girl in a dining room that is apparently in hell saying "There is Nothing" in reverse dying, coming back to life, and saying it forwards heavily distorted voice. The video was intended to be looped. And also probably to give you nightmares forever.


5. David Lynch's Rabbits

What is it and where did it come from?
Rabbits is a series created by David Lynch, Director of Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, and other great movies. It centers on a group of people in rabbit masks who utter non sequiters while laugh tracks and applause play. Lynch refuses to comment on what it means (as he does with most of his movies), but fans speculate it could be symbolism of purgatory or hell. This episode is called "Jack's Poem."


OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?
This one's creepy in a different way from most of the others. It conveys a kind of claustrophobic panic, to me, at least, and it's just great. There's plenty more episodes of this on youtube, just search David Lynch Rabbits.


If there are any you feel would have been better on this list, feel free to let me know in the comments. There's a ton more videos I wanted to put in this, and I might have to write a follow up.

9 comments:

  1. NO SALAD FINGERS?! I am outraged.

    And as far as David Lynch goes, this is my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0CGzPaJUOE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Through the darkness of future past, the magician longs to see, one cries out between two worlds, Fire walk with me.

    David Lynch is the shit.

    Salad fingers just makes me laugh, though. There are definitely others I want to add to this, though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you think that stuff's scary. Check out The Goddess Bunny. It is one of the creepiest things I have ever seen on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Goddess Bunny a while back, and it did freak me out. But then I found out it was a transvestite with polio. And I wasn't frightened by it anymore, just a little sad.
    There were a bunch of videos I should've done that I didn't, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG i just wrote a comment about it. I can't believe you saw it to. wow that video scared the crap out of me. it never gets old...

      Delete
  5. Okay... So after seeing a particular video... I wasn't phased by theses in the least... That's not saying much... But I was actually... I wont lie. I was uneased by a certain YouTube video... I'm a bit of a thrillseeker in that area... But this one actually... It's rather interesting to say the least... Please, search up "crooked rot" on YouTube... That's one thing that got me... A little on the nervous side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 'I Feel Fantastic' video is creepy as hell. I heard a rumor that the husband purchased the robot, murdered his wife, and from 1:47 - 1:58 when it shows outside and the camera zooms in is where he buried his wife. The clothes that the robot's wearing are his wife's clothes... Once again this is a rumor I heard, but it's an accurate and creepy theory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you need Obey the walrus in your list. This video is simply terrifying. I highly recommend it for people who want a good scare. My brother first showed me this, and I was so terrified that I thought someone was always watching me and my hands would shake when I watched the video. I have watched the video several times and it STILL scares the crap out of me. THIS IS A MUST SEE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Creepiest? These videos aren't creepy for me.

    ReplyDelete